Sunday, November 24, 2013

Web Comics - the new one-liners

I should be reading web comics. Everyone does these days. It's the new way to read comics, right? To me, they don't feel like comics. They feel like the .gifs and cheezeburger cat images you see on tumblr. Tempory, short, hilarious tidbits about everyday life. Me, I like a story I can get involved with, character I become attached to, scenes that can make me feel something more than a chuckle.

With this attitude I approached Octopus Pie by Meredith Gran. It was O.K. While still broken down into short segments, there was an over-arching storyline at work. It has both elements of 'web comics' and what I consider 'real comics'. There is character development and unusual people keep the story interesting. Unfortunately, I didn't connect with any of the characters myself, although I'm sure other have. I'm not lazy, so watching our poor main character Eve fail at taking control in her own life frustrated me. I've never had junkie friends, and I don't curse much--yeah, I run with a clean crowd--so what can I say about Hanna? She seems like someone I'd keep my distance from, and I don't want to get to know her. She-has-her-circle-I-have-mine kind of vibes. I enjoyed the comic where she went topless in the park, though. I've often wondered why girls have to cover up while guys get to go free (haha). So there was one set of ideals I connected with.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer comics in book format. I'm not alone, either. Back in middle through high school, friends would ask me for my comic books so they could read them. I told them I'd posted it online, and that they'd have to go there to read (I'm not handing out my only original! It's like my child!). They always looked disappointed. In recent days, however, I think we've ALL gotten more comfortable with digital format. With tablet devices, it's now possible to curl up in bed to read without fumbling with a laptop.

Maybe I'll change my ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment